Qualifications to Register to Vote
- Be a United States citizen
- Be 18 years old by the date of the election
- You may preregister at 16 or 17, but you cannot vote until you are 18
- Be a resident of Rensselaer County for at least 25 days preceding the election
- Not be in prison for a felony conviction
- Not be adjudged mental incompetent by a court
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere
Am I Registered to Vote?
Please visit the NY State (NYS) Board of Elections Voter Registration and Poll Site Search page to find out if you are registered. Be sure to select Rensselaer in the drop-down tab for County. Note that a registration form must be completed to change your name, address, or party affiliation if you have already registered.
How to Register to Vote if You Haven't Previously Registered
- You can fill out a NYS Voter Registration form in person at our office
- You can call the Board of Elections to request a NYS Voter Registration Form
- You can download and print out a PDF version of the registration form; please fill out the form, and either deliver in person or mail the completed form to our office:
- English Registration Form: New York State Voter Registration Form (PDF)
- Spanish Registration Form: Formulario de Registro de Votantes del Estado de Nueva York (PDF)
When downloading, please make sure you print out the entire page, including the signature line!
Not a County Resident
If you are not a Rensselaer County resident, you can find out where to mail your form by calling 800-367-8683 (800-FOR-VOTE). If you use a TDD, please call 800-533-8683.
To learn more about voter registration deadlines, please visit the NY State BOE Voter Registration Deadlines page.
Questions & Concerns
If you have any questions or cannot confirm your information, please call the Rensselaer County Board of Elections. Your vote counts!