The Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office operates 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
About the Sheriffs Office
- Established in 1791, the Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office is a law enforcement agency located in upstate New York approximately 150 miles north of New York City.
- The Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office serves the estimated 159,000 citizens of Rensselaer County whose authority is spread out over 665 square miles; encompassing 16 towns and villages as well as the cities of Rensselaer and Troy, New York.
- Under the leadership of Sheriff Patrick A. Russo the deputies, officers and civilian staff members are responsible for providing highly technical and specialized law enforcement services as well as emergency response, investigations and crime interdiction.
- The sworn personnel of the Highway Patrol are responsible for providing assistance to citizen's calls for service in cooperation with all local, state and federal law enforcement agencies within the county to enforce all facets of law and order.
- The Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office Administrative Division includes staff which holds responsibility and authority of overseeing and managing many positions, assignments, tasks, events, and duties as determined by the Sheriff.
- The Corrections Bureau is responsible for maintaining safe order and control of the 473 bed correctional facility to include all functions related to the daily operations of the county jail.
- The Civil Enforcement Division is a state mandated service. Its purpose is to serve and execute various legal processes issued by criminal courts of the state and its subdivisions, as well as, the legal community and the general public.
Message from Sheriff Patrick A. Russo
On behalf of the Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office it is my pleasure to welcome you to our website. This website has been designed to provide a comprehensive guide to our agency's many services and responsibilities performed here. Our mission is to provide our citizens with one of the best law enforcement offices in New York State. We will continue to update and make changes to this site in an effort to better keep the residents in our county informed.
We invite you to explore our site and learn more about us.
We hope you find the information useful and informative.
Thank you for visiting!
RCJ Limited Non-Contact Visitation Plan – to be instituted July 01, 2022 – with rules and schedules attached.